I have always felt that I am an old soul, ever since 5-year-old me couldn’t relate to my peers and was more concerned with life philosophies than toys (although I did and still love my toys!). As such, in these 30 years of life I have learned many things through introspection, observation, education, and most of all, experience. On my 30th birthday today, I share with you 30 things that I have learned and I will elaborate on each one throughout my birthday month. Join me in a conversation on the learnings listed here and the philosophies behind them!
30 at 30
- “Where there is love there is life” – Mahatma Gandhi
- I am my greatest love story.
- Life can change DRASTICALLY in seconds.
- Blood may be thicker than water, but even your blood can betray and leave you.
- Hustle hard and early in life because it pays off BIG later in more ways than you think.
- Never stop learning because that’s when you stop growing.
- Never give up!
- Follow your heart, it knows the way.
- Love freely and openly – it’s too beautiful not to express!
- Be YOU because you were made this way for a beautiful reason.
- Know your flaws. Accept your flaws. Love your flaws. They make you beautiful.
- Your greatest obstacle is your mindset.
- Breed positivity and you’ll have an abundance of good people at your side.
- Time does not determine value in a relationship, respect does.
- Life is a result of our choices.
- Other people’s opinions are great for reflection, but remember to walk away from the mirror and decide for yourself.
- Perception is reality in the minds of others, but reality always makes itself known when it matters.
- Be approachable, not accessible.
- Never be afraid to be as fabulous as you are – the world needs more of it.
- Smile and smile often – for you, for your people, and for the people who just need to see the world smile some more.
- Fight for what’s right even when the world is against you – it’s not about them, it’s not about karma, it’s about doing what’s right because it’s the right thing to do.
- Believing in yourself is the best investment you can make.
- Love your people and love on them often.
- Life really is short, so do what you can today because tomorrow isn’t promised to anyone.
- Prepare yourself for the life you want because you never know when it will become real.
- There are habits you can change and there are habits that are actually characteristics. Know the difference and train yourself accordingly.
- The foundations of ANY relationship (friend, family, intimate) are Trust and Respect.
- You’ll never regret trying.
- Fear is the world’s way of testing you. You have to decide when you’re ready to pass and level up.
- This is YOUR life. Live it your way.
Aaj ho mere saath
Toh yaad zaroor rakhna ye baat
Izzat doge toh mein hoon saath
Varna chune ke liye bhi na hoga yeh haath
Yeh zamana mera hai
Abhi main kabool karti hoon
Saara jahan dekha ga
Main kis duniya ki bani hoon
Translation (adjusted for meaning):
Today if you’re with me
Please remember what I say
Respect me and I’m with you
Otherwise even my hand will be too far away
This season is mine
I accept it and manifest it
The whole world will see
From which realm I may be
– Akiti –